Home CONTACT HOME HISTORY

THE STAINED GLASS WINDOWS

The work of  Hugh Easton and a memorial to Mr and Mrs Percy St. John Hugh Dawney  and their son Hugh who was killed in action in 1943 serving in Tunisia.  A splendid vision of the risen ascended Christ.  It is an unusual depiction of Christ in that he is depicted as white, blond and without beard!!  The seven smaller hereldic depictions in the lower window are interesting in that they are each linked in some way with the Dawney Family.

THE HOLY CROSS WINDOW

THE EAST WINDOW

in memory of Father Harry North, the second Priest in Charge at St. Martin’s (1889-97) He was the priest who began the planning of the building of new St Martin's in 1900. He died at the age of 37 and never saw it started.

He was succeed by the Fr. John Henry Filmer who completed the task.

Fr Harry North

Therefore, reading the lower panels of the window from right to left, the heraldic code is “Hugh” + “St. John” + “Dawney”. The memorial stone giving the dedication of the East window is set into the wall of the Entrance Porch of the church in memory Hugh St. John Dawney.

Fr John Filmer

The heraldry of the East Window has been interpreted by

Dr David Woolf, Sacristan at St. Martin's, with the aid of

Saints, Signs and Symbols:

A Concise Dictionary by W. Ellwood Post

(published by SPCK  ISBN 0 281 02894 X)